Should I repair or replace my air conditioner? – Nice Heating & Air
Like most people, you probably aren’t thinking much about your HVAC system- until it stops working! When this does happen, you have no choice but to address the issue. So what should you do?
You call an HVAC professional to take a look at it, and you are given some estimates to make the repairs. After some time, you are left wondering if it might be more cost-effective to replace the system. After all, one failure is bad enough, and it doesn’t feel right to be at the whims of a temperamental machine. This is not an easy decision to make, so here are some important things to consider to help you with this process.
Age of Equipment
- The average life expectancy of a furnace is 15-20 years, and 10-12 for an air conditioner or heat pump. If your unit is getting close to its “expiration date,” it’s time to consider replacement as it’s a good chance that more repairs will be needed very soon.
Consider the 50% rule: When the cost of repairs approaches 50% of the value of your heating or cooling system, it’s time to replace the system.*
- Older units are far less efficient than today’s systems. For example, upgrading from an 8-10 SEER cooling system to an 18 SEER will provide substantial savings on your monthly utility bills.
- Aging furnaces only have a 68% AFUE, while a new furnace is clocking in at 95% efficiency!
Financing & Incentives
- While you are often left to foot the bill for repairing your old AC or furnace, there are often financial benefits to replacing your system.
- Be sure to ask your dealer for any incentives or financing options that are currently available.
- Search for incentives for upgrading to a new system here: www.dsireusa.org
If you have recently upgraded your windows, insulation, roofing or any other energy-efficient upgrades, your current system may not be sized correctly. Conversely, your current unit might be too small if you have added additions to your home.
- An oversized unit costs more to run and uses more energy
- A smaller-than-needed unit is at risk of not running efficiently, if it’s being kept on constantly and overworking to keep your home comfortable.
Research shows that water heating, air conditioning, and home heating account for more than 50% of domestic energy use.*
- Modern equipment uses less natural resources and reduces your carbon footprint. Research shows that air conditioning, heating, and water heating account for more than 50% of domestic energy use.*
- Your old system may be using an outdated R-22 refrigerant, which is harmful to the environment. Freon has been banned by the EPA, and by 2020 it will be nonexistent. New systems use the environmentally friendly R-410A refrigerant.
- Choose a new system based on Energy Star ratings to lower your carbon footprint.
*U.S. Department of Energy Statistics
- Is your home comfortable? Do you have hot rooms, cold rooms, is the air too humid or dry? Your aging HVAC system may be responsible for all of that, and even poor air quality. Not to mention that older systems are louder as well.
- Modern heating and cooling systems can be integrated with programmable thermostats, as well as home automation systems, so you can enjoy home comfort convenience.
When you are faced with the choice to repair the existing equipment or invest in a new unit, be sure to consider the following carefully:
- Life expectancy
- The environment
- Comfort and convenience
- Incentives and rebates
Don’t be pressured into making a snap decision.
To help you weigh your options and make a decision that is best for your home and budget, we put together this ebook to learn more about life expectancy, refrigerant efficiency, and the current condition of the comfort system in your home. Our ebook also includes an easy DIY assessment you complete at home.
Download our ebook and use our replacement versus repair scorecard to help you decide what is best for you!
We Offer Nice & Friendly Service!
the Surrounding Areas
Maintenance Plan! It’s the NICEST way to gain comfort.
Customers With a NICE Experience
Customers With a NICE Experience
“Five stars--could not be happier! Josh and Kyle were very professional, provided several options to improve performance of HVAC, no pressure or time constraints, worked efficiently, were able to explain in clear terms what they found, including when items were performing in fine fashion and nothing needed to be done. Thanks for a happy camper”
“Service was outstanding from the time of arrival which you could track arrival time live on a website link they send you so you know when they will arrive. Technical knowledge was very high, quick and efficient Kyle and his partner both handled the install of a Sensi Predict as if it was a walk in the park. I highly recommend Kyle from Nice Heating & Air for all HVAC issues and for new installs, him and his team are an amazing company and will think of them first if any issues arise in the future for sure....”
“Professional and polite. Excellent communication throughout the maintenance visit. Definitely recommend.”
“Rolando Medrano was very professional and followed the CDC protocol of 6 feet social distance and had a mask and put disposable shoe covers before entering the house. He made sure to address all of our issues and provided answers for all our questions. He came on time and called before he came to update on timing and his status! He was a great help!”
“Highly recommend Nice Home Services for your HVAC needs. Have been member of their annual maintenance plan for three years now and been extremely pleased with their approach to business. They are professional, knowledgeable, and relatable. The service specialists take their time to fully diagnose the issue and explain the situation in a way that is easy to understand. Never had an instance where they try to push product and instead look for ways to recommend how to save you money. Need anything done on your home's HVAC, call the folks at Nice Home Services and know you're making the right choice.”
“Love , Love the NICE Heating & Air company for their kind & trustworthy technicians, their unbeatable price & overall knowledge they’ve amazed me every time with their fabulous job on my house, I’ll recommend them without hesitations, try this company you won’t regret for sure.”
“Dionte and his helper (Josh) did a superb job with the installation. The result is both functional and as cosmetically pleasing as the ideal water heater installation can be. They were VERY careful moving the old one out and the new one in so as to assure no damage was initiated neither to the heater nor to our dwelling. He explained his intended design prior to execution and executed it flawlessly. This was followed by a comprehensive explanation of the functional options available through the control panel and Ipad app. Cleanup at conclusion of the install was appropriate and comprehensive. This team represented both Nice Heating and Rheem VERY positively!”
“I had the pleasure of meeting another NICE Heating and Air Service Technician today, Mr. Jeremy Castellon. Jeremy, thank you again for addressing my questions and concerns regarding my gas fireplace. I appreciate your patience and knowledgeability about gas fireplaces. Jeremy was very professional and competent.”
“The technician was very professional and took his time to explain the issue and how he will about to fix it. He also offered means to save by signing on their maintenance program. He was polite, careful to keep the carpet clean. I will recommend this company to friends and family.”
“Loves me some NICE Home Services! I’ve been part of their maintenance plan for almost 9 years now & they're great. Reliable, professional, & friendly; they take care of all my HVAC & gas fireplace needs m, including a spring & fall tuneup. Highly recommend!”
“I purchased my HVAC unit a year ago along with a Cozy Club maintenance plan. It's been running great and the customer service team is always quick to respond to questions. Today Rolando M. came by for the maintenance check and, as usual, he was neat, professional and maintained the COVID rules. He was also very nice, living up to the company name. I'm very happy with my experience with Nice.”
“I can't speak highly enough of this company. I requested an appointment, and it was scheduled for the next day. The technician was polite, honest, and a pure delight to work with. He didn't try to overcharge or tell me to replace something I didn't need to. He made service recommendations that were in line with industry standard prices so I could make an informed decision as he went about his service visit. Would recommend and will be using them again in the future. ”
“My technician arrived promptly at our appointed hour. He repaired a dirty and non-working gas fireplace. In addition, he found a small gas leak on our furnace line. Overall, exceptional service and quality work. I highly recommend their HVAC service.”
“Very impressive company! Nice responded to my call for a heating issue on very short notice. My tech, was right on time, extremely polite, and very hardworking. Customer service and satisfaction are clearly a priority.”
“They treat customers like a valuable asset, not like a number. Business the old-fashioned way, that will never go out of style.”
“Superb customer service. Before a service appointment, you receive a text message notification with photo of the tech that will be at your residence followed by a phone call. During a service appointment you'll updated and educated. If there is a concern, management will contact you promptly and follow up until issue resolved. Awesome and attentive team!!”