Whenever your A/C unit fails, most reputable air conditioning technicians will recommend that you replace your indoor air handler at the same time because the two units must be matched so that your new outdoor unit can work at maximum efficiency and MAINTAIN the warranty. Improperly matched units will shorten the life span of your new unit and invalidate the warranty. This is just one of the many pitfalls that need to be avoided when replacing a system. Do not make a serious mistake when buying a system. Consult a reputable professional.
How did you do?
1 to 10 points: Repair your system, it is your best value and least amount of risk.
11 to 19 points: Your decision. See below.
20 points and more: Replacement is the best economic decision, given energy costs and future repair costs.
What if I am between 11 and 19 points?
The questions you should be asking yourself to decide whether to repair or replace:
- How do you live within the home – Lifestyle wants-needs?
- Does anyone in the home suffer any conditions? Allergies or other?
- Is saving energy important to you?
- What do you like about your comfort system? Or would like to change?
- What do you know about environmental refrigerants?